Saturday, July 26, 2014

Are We Eager to do Good?

It is with great reservation that I take on a blog post about faith and/or righteousness. I can talk about face wash or diet plans all day because I know that even if I seem cray cray- it's so irrelevant. The grand scheme of things isn't about my "crunchy" journey. But Jesus and I have been on a journey for the last 5 years and I'm slowly and rather stupidly only now seeing this bigger picture of what my "walk" with Christ is supposed to look like.

 I think we so easily look at "better Christians" and assume their faith must be more powerful than our own. Why? Because we all sin differently. The differentiation between our sins and our transgressions does not create a stratified atmosphere of Christianity whereby we must remain in our caste system. What is should create is the body of Christ. As I was reminded yesterday by the husband of one of my friends, "we should be rejoicing, instead of rationalizing". Boom. Seriously chew on that for a bit. We call ourselves sinners because in our imperfect nature as humans, we sin. But Jesus doesn't call us that- our Holy God doesn't call us that. The moment Jesus gave up his life for us and we accepted the amazing challenge of acknowledging that only through the grace and the blood of Jesus can we be sanctified - we were then daughters and sons of the King. And instead of basking and rejoicing in that, we rationalize our sin, our distance from God, our insecurities, our lack of faith and trust, and ultimately our walk with Christ.

So what does it mean then to be a Christian? I simply say I'm a Christian, as in a follower of Jesus. Frankly, breaking down what denomination I actually am is more confusing than pointedly declaring that all that human interference is not the point of my, dare I say, "religion". Instead I have this beautiful relationship with a Holy God which consumes my life. At least, it should. Which brings me to the point of this blog and what ultimately brought me to my knees.

Have you ever felt like you were under attack from friends, family, co-workers, heck, even strangers? Do you know right now if any person has "dirt" on you? Could anybody speak hateful things about you? Are you generally afraid of the hurdles life throws in this midst of your race?

At some point, I know I could answer yes to all of those. Why? Because I am a control freak. I want to hold on to each plan because "I can do it all by myself". Because in the pursuit of getting my plan accomplished, I mow people down and answer with a harsh word. Because I have the mouth of a sailor. Because I am not kind, gentle, full of mercy, and rarely am I self controlled. Sound familiar?

This is not Sarah behind a pulpit preaching- this is me airing my dirty laundry and praying it touches some of yours and we can ask our Daddy to help us be washed and transformed.

So let's be serious, nothing is new under the sun. Like nothing. Because everything I just mentioned as my struggles has been struggled with before. But guess what? Our guide book, the Bible, has some words to drop some knowledge on us about this very thing. 

Enter 1 Peter 3:8-16: "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another, be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but rather with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For 'whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of The Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of The Lord is against those who do evil.' Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you suffer for what is right, you're blessed. Do not fear what they fear, do not be frightened. But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ, may be ashamed of their slander." 

Feel free to pause to digest. You may need to read it like a bazillion times to take the full weight. Humbled yet?

 I know I read it a couple time a week and still am pounded by it. Live in harmony. Be sympathetic. Love as brothers. Who is going to harm me if I'm eager to do good? Don't even fear what they fear, Sarah. You set apart in your heart that Christ is The Lord and you are not, Sarah. Always have a gentle answer explaining my hope in Christ. 

It's overwhelming to see that in 8 verses, we can be challenged so far beyond what puny faith and flawed holiness we currently present to God. But that one line- who is going to harm you if you're eager to do good- is what resonates with me. Have I ever once been described as a woman who was eager to do good? If not, why not? 

I do not want to end this post on some high note. I don't think it's appropriate. I want to end this with the challenge. Let's be eager to do what is good. Let's seek peace and pursue it. Who can harm us if we are seeking peace and pursuing what is good in the eyes of The Lord? Nobody. Be prepared for a spiritual attack when that's your pursuit. Satan doesn't want anywhere near this challenge. So let's stand firm. Let's put on the full armor of God. Let's go out into the world, being eager to do what is good. 









2 comments:

  1. This...this line..."I have this beautiful relationship with a Holy God which consumes my life." Oh how I want Him to consume me. And to seek His good and His peace everywhere we go? Yes. If only we as Christians would do this all. the. time--our world would change. Love it, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete